Monday, April 21, 2008

Trail Mix

Last saturday was Trail Mix 50k. In 2005 Trail Mix was my first 50K that I had ever done so this is a race I hate to miss. This was my third time. In 2006 I only did the 25K becuase up to that I had not run much. Last year was my best time at I think 6:02. This year I did 5:59 but only because of the shortened course. No one knows the exact length but I think more in the 29 mile range seemed right. I was faster last year than I am now.
This was only the 2nd marathon or higher race that I ran the whole thing with the same person, the only other time that happened was my first marathon with my friend Jackie. this time my friend Craig put up with me for the whole thing. He is a much better runner than I am and could have done much better, even though he is too nice to admit it. He has done a huge amount of marathons and is closing in on doing the 50 states a second time.
It was nice to see people I know- Eve and Steve win. I was in my third lap when I crossed Eve and then Steve they both looked so intense. Later we heard the roar of the crowd, we were surprised because we figured it was about when Eve would have reached but didn't hear anything for the person we thought must have crossed first. What surprise that the winner would be a woman. Steve was back on the course later- I saw him hanging around the last aid station, I asked him how he did, he said he was the top guy- way to go Steve!!!
I always like the 4th lap at trail mix when its is only the end of the 50K people left on the course, finally no continual passing. It is much more peaceful. I didn't have any leg pain like I used to get but I was quite tired, I proably would have walked more if I was running by myself. I thought I might feel the big boost I felt the week before at Chippewa during the 2nd half but did not. Every race is different. I was able to make the excuse that I left it at Chippewa but I know that was not the case. My time had it been the full course would have been closer to 6:30.
The best thing about this race was seeing all the people I know, hanging out after and going to lunch with some great people.

2 Comments:

Blogger Kel said...

Nice job Karen, especially after a tough run at Chippewa just a week before!

April 22, 2008 at 9:43 AM  
Blogger Wayne said...

Yeah, good job, Karen... two 50Ks in 8 days is great. I had a similar experience... beat my previous best trail mix 25k time by 14 seconds. I'll take it... all we can do is run what the race director tells us to run, right?? :)

April 22, 2008 at 9:50 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home