Monday, April 28, 2008

Another long run

I felt I really needed to get in another long run before Ice Age 50 mile in a couple of weeks. Time was a problem because I had to pick up my Grandson by noon on saturday. The plan was to start early- in the dark out at Afton. I need to grow up and get over that fear of the dark: the weather was starting to look like it was going to be not the best too. Luckily for me I got encluded in a group email from Matt that he was starting at 4;30 am- I said I would join the group he had going. Ok now I am committed to getting out early and trying to push myself one more time into getting ready to run 50 miles.
I got to Afton at about 4;20AM. There was one other car a few parking lots down the way, I hate being the only one(that I know of) out there. Matt shows up on time and we wait a while for Bryan who doesn't show so we head out to the snowshoe loop first because of the strong winds. I wore a LED headlamp and had a small hand carry flashlight but I really need to get a stronger flashlight it was hard to see the path, only fell once, pretty good for how dark it seemed. Before long the snow was really falling and sticking to the ground.
I ran by myself after the first few hours. I was happy that even though I felt rotton from like 10 to 16 miles, after that I felt pretty good. That good feeling was sort of what I felt at Chippewa, like I knew I was tired but it didn't bother me. My understanding of this is that this is when my body starts to burn a greater percentage of fat for its fuel. I also had a little bit of time in the last few miles where I started to get really hungry I ate some blocks and a small nutroll and felt better again to finish off the day. I was out for almost 7 hours and got in 27-28 miles. Best of all I left with the feeling that I should be able to do finish Ice Age within the 12 hour time limit. Should- but I have not finished a trail 50 miler- in under that time and I was a slight faster runner last year. It will be fun to see what happens.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home