Sunday, August 17, 2008

Paavo-My number 40

Now that summer is winding down thought I had better make some time to write- especially before I forget everything.
Last weekend was Paavo Nurmi marathon. This was my third Paavo, I love that marathon, nice small crowd and fun party after.
Wayne had sent me a link to a u-tube on the Paavo so I was especially looking foreward to getting back to Hurley WI. My friend Deb and I were in the last few seconds- I said "feels good" as I showed my metal. I sort of remember that- I think the question was "how does it feel to have finished the Paavo Marathon".
My time was slower, no big surprise on that last year I think it was 4:35 this year 4:50. I am glad it was better than Grandma's which was my personal worst for road marathon.
The course has alot of hills which I like better than a flat course anyways. I felt better after 18 miles- that always surprises me that I feel better later in races then those middle miles.
I ran the first 11 miles with Marius and Lynn Saari, she was taking it easy ocassionally running backwards wondering what was taking Marius and I so long. She had a 100 miler comming up in two weeks so she was doing the relay with my friend Deb. At 11 miles, Lyn said she had better take off and she was out of sight before I knew it. Lynn and Deb still ended up taking 2nd place masters. My other friend I went up there with- Linda took third place masters - she ran with Sheri Storcamp who I found for her after posting the need for someone for her to run with on DRS.
Paavo has a party with a band in the park and this year was the best. They have 1.00 beer and cheep food and the awards. It is nice to see awards, they are usally over before I ever get done. The band played late, our group were the only ones left at the end.
I should try to make this a better post but my daughter is bugging me to get off the computer.
It is good to be just 10 races from my 50 by 50.

4 Comments:

Blogger Londell said...

And you will make it! Will you make Hyland Thursday. Phil and Molly plan on being there...

August 19, 2008 at 6:41 AM  
Blogger Matthew Patten said...

KG

great to see you bloggin again!

I saw your name on the 50 list at Superior. It will be a great weekend.

Keep it strong

August 22, 2008 at 6:24 AM  
Blogger SteveQ said...

Paavo was my first marathon. You never forget your first! Do they still serve soup and Cornish Pasties at the finish line? That always struck me as weird.

August 22, 2008 at 11:29 AM  
Blogger Wayne said...

Karen, Congrats on completing #40!! Maybe I'll have to give that one a try sometime. See you at Superior for #41.

August 22, 2008 at 10:30 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home