Sunday, August 31, 2008

Getting ready

Without a race for a few weeks, I have had time to concentrate on training and it feel sood, Been doing some speed work- yasso's around the track (this is more for in prep for twin cities in early Oct then Superior)early moring runs with Linda and Jenny and getting out for some hill repeats. the last hills session this past wednesday really gave me some sore calf muscels which did not feel good again till today.
This will be a fun week with only 3 work days. I will be heading up to superior very ealy Friday morning in time to do a a little voluntering at an early aid station then up to packet pick up and hopefully a good nights rest before the big race. This will be my 2nd Superior 50 miler, after doing the marathon twice, not to mention doing the spring 50K twice. This is by far my favorite of all places I have been to to run. Nothing beats the SHT.
I am more excited for my 100 mile friends who will be running the race then nervous or excited about my own race. They have made this year very interesting and I give all of them so much credit for doing it. I want to do the 100 but not yet... I am not an overly cautious person but I know my limits and I am not at the level it takes to do the 100 miler here yet. I shouldn't underestimate this 50 miler, as it sounds like it will be pretty tough with the new start. I will miss the out and back because the old way I was able to see everybody, all the marathoners and other 50 milers and most of the 100 milers. I still need to figure out if I need drop bags for anything, I really hate to bother with extra stuff.
My plan is to run how I feel. Sounds simple and it is, just run as fast as I can up to the point of feeling uncomforatable with the exception of letting myself feel uncomforatable on some uphills. If this year was the same as last I would say I would be about 1/2 hour faster, a bit under 13 hours, I think I was like 13:25 or so last year, with the harder course and the longer milage I have a goal of 13 hours.
I am so happy this is a holiday weekend and I get an extra day off.

6 Comments:

Blogger Londell said...

Good luck on the goal... I hope you pass me as that means I am still on the trail... Of course, I run 35 hours, that means we finish together, but I am not going to have a orayer at 35 hours!

Thanks for joining me on the hills!

September 1, 2008 at 7:10 AM  
Blogger Kel said...

Good luck Karen!

What aid station are you crewing at on Friday? If I can get out of town early enough, I'm hoping to stop by either Silver Bay or Tettagouche to catch a glimpse of the 100 milers.

September 1, 2008 at 10:54 AM  
Blogger Karen G said...

Londell, I will be looking for you. You WILL be there!! (unless I am too slow)
Kel, I will be at Bever Bay. After I am done I am planning on stopping in at the other aid stations as time allows.
I am also thinking after check in and dinner to head back out to try to check on some of the 100 milers again.

September 2, 2008 at 12:22 PM  
Blogger Matthew Patten said...

Karen,

Kick that course in the butt. It's a simple point to point... flat and fast.

Who is it that always says that?

September 2, 2008 at 2:41 PM  
Blogger Wayne said...

You'll do great, Karen. Sounds like you're ready and have a good plan... as usual. I'm totally pumped up by everyone else's excitement - whether it's getting ready for one of the races or one of the kick-butt aid stations. Every now and then I have to remind myself that I'm running too. :) See you up there.

September 2, 2008 at 7:31 PM  
Blogger Adam said...

Hey Karen,
Go get 'em Saturday! Looking forward to seeing a familiar face at Beaver.

Adam

September 3, 2008 at 6:09 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home