Sunday, September 7, 2008

Superior 50 mile DNF

Well I never say this one comming. I DNF'd. I had been Ok last year, had a pretty good Vouageur 50 miler in July so I was pretty confident at finishing at least.
I was feeling really good actually especially through the 9 mile section of Crosby-Manitou to Caribou. The hills didn't both me there at all. I got a little worried before Cramer road when someone said we were in danger of being cut becaue the cut off was 1pm. I never never thought of being cut in this race, this is one race where I thought being cut for time was no issue at all. We actually got in at cramer at 1:15 but were not cut, I guess the cut off there is soft- if you look good you can go on. It woke me up though, I had not really felt like I was going that slow!!! Right before the temperance river aid station, I started to get sharp stomach aches (maybe I shouldn't have eaten those brownies and several cups of coke?), I took the few pepto bismol tablets I had with me and it helped. At temperance I was worried because I only had 4 hours to make it to Oberg, The time had gone so fast. It was during this section that the dreaded trips into the woods started. I think I stopped at least 5 times before Brittons peak. After brittons peak the trips into the woods continued I must have stopped another 5 or more times. I knew with all the stops and the slow running I was going to be close to not making the 7PM cut off. It also started raining during this section, but I made it to Oberg and after having several cups of soup and taking food with with me off I went, I had 3 hours to finish, I could easily walk and finish this last 7 miles, my feet and legs were doing fine.
It was not long after I left Oberg that I had to make another trip into the woods and I knew from how I felt that I had many more to come. I was shivering from being wet and cold and thought of the water I had been unable to drink and the inconvieience to everybody I would be if I got hypothermia in the middle of this last section. I like to think of myself as being tough but I shouldn't be stupid.
I was a hard decision but I turned around and ran back to Oberg. The aid station people were extrememly nice I remember feeling like they shouldn't be so nice, I felt like such a looser. I changed into some dry shirts and still couldn't get warm. I got a nice ride back to Caribou hylands in a car with heated seats.
After cleaning up I tried to get out to see everybody but I could not leave the vacinity of a bathroom. I heard the awards and cheering outside and the last of finishers comming in. Not being there at the end sort of hurt worse than anything else.
I learned alot, I need to get in better shape, My body needs alot of energy in a race like this and it has no extra energy for mishaps like this. I need to think about what I eat on the trail. Maybe I had better save the treats for after the race.
Overall though it was a nice day on the trail. I enjoyed the new course and look foreward to doing it again next year.

6 Comments:

Blogger Londell said...

I saw so many people dropped in both the 50 and 100. You sure looked strong in the time I spent with you, but the body goofiness sometimes can't be controlled... Congrats for fighting as hard as you did. Great to hear you handled Crosby to Sugerloaf section well! I was also surprised at the cut-off still being 6 hours as I was at Cramer for a while... Sorry I missed you and thanks for the great job at Beaver Bay. It meant so much to me!

September 7, 2008 at 5:05 PM  
Blogger Londell said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

September 7, 2008 at 5:05 PM  
Blogger SteveQ said...

Wow, none of us who rode in your car finished their races. Must be the car's fault.

Food problems are always rough. I still get queasy when I think of some of the races I had where food was an issue.

You'll get there next time.

September 8, 2008 at 10:53 AM  
Blogger Matthew Patten said...

You were there for me all the way!

Seeing you at Beaver Bay on Friday was great.

Last year you seemed like such a cool customer rolling in at the end of the 50.

You are a tough cookie, even when tossing them.

September 8, 2008 at 12:53 PM  
Blogger Kel said...

Sorry to hear about your tough day Karen. You ARE tough! Sometimes things just don't work out... for reasons that you have no control over. If it were easy, it wouldn't mean anything...

See you on the trail!

September 10, 2008 at 10:42 PM  
Blogger Wayne said...

Hey Karen, it was hard seeing you come back to the Oberg aid station. With everything going on I think you were awfully tough to even leave, and then smart enough to come back. Way to give it your all. Certainly this won't stop you, so what's next? Will I see you at Whistle Stop?

September 12, 2008 at 11:31 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home