Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Humbled at Big Horn






Short version is I finished!! I almost did not, I was seconds from being dropped at mile 34 (where I had to quick leave without even being able to fill my water bottles),and except for the end of race I was the last person making the cut offs. I had my ankle pain come back right from the start so the wonderful long downhill advantage I thought I had were lost. The course was absolutely breath taking. There is no way to see this remote mountain course without doing it. It was so very different than driving through- it was so fantastic!!! Pictures do not do it justice, it doesn't show the largeness of it all.

The long version I had been working on for a few days I decided to can it and just leave it with the short version.
I have not run since the race, I my ankle and up into my shin still bother me. I won't be doing Afton even though I am signed up. Too bad I wasted my money. I had wanted to wait till after Big Horn but didn't know registration would be extended. I was pretty sure right after I wouldn't be able to run for at least a few weeks since it was worse than after FANS and two weeks was not enough from after that.
So what to do after this? I don't know I am signed up for 1/2 Voyageur -I see how I am doing.
Maybe I just need to concentrate on being a better runner before I do any long races. I think someone at Big Horn suggested that but I can't remember who or when or if someone said it even. Maybe it was just me.
This was my favorite race so far, even with me doing so bad.

1 Comments:

Blogger Wayne said...

Congratulations, Karen! That sounds like a great race, and a tough one. You had quite a couple weeks with FANS and then Big Horn. Hopefully you'll be healed up in time for the Half Voyageur!

July 1, 2009 at 2:59 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home