Monday, December 22, 2008

Snowshoeing fun

Saturday I had a good showshoe run out at Lebannon Hills.I need to start building up for the snowshoe marathon next month.
Lebannon Hills has a great marked loop perfect for snowshoeing, lots of rolling hills meandering through the woods, all single track, around lots of lakes.
I had big doubts during the first hour if there was going to be a second hour, but thought if I can get in two hours I would be doing ok. Last week at Afton I only got in a little snowshoeing before I took them off and ran without them. Snowshoeing takes alot more energy and I can feel it. I did not bring my Garmin since I had forgot to charge it up. Good thing - I might have been upset with myself over the speed. I think I started walking about 1/2 the time but think that improved as time went. But my rule in running- never walk the downhills applied here too.
I ended up with a 3 hour run, no idea of the milage. Next week I will go 4 hours. I was totally caked in snow by the time I was done- was absolutley freezing by the time I got home.
I am back on the south beach diet, it is good for diabetics. I know I am not diabetic...yet -better start acting like I don't want to be one.
I also started cholesterol meds. I had one extra test- I think it measured the size of the colesterol itself and that one said I was moderate risk for heart attack. I guess you can run but you can't escape heredity.

3 Comments:

Blogger Londell said...

Glad you had a good run, as I thought it was way to cold to step out. Take care of yourself, I need a hills partner and you are a good one!

December 22, 2008 at 10:16 PM  
Blogger Wayne said...

Karen, are you doing the Northwood snowshoe marathon in Duluth? If so, I'll see you there. I'm doing the half marathon. Keep it up!

December 23, 2008 at 9:22 AM  
Blogger SteveQ said...

Sounds like a great snowshoe run. I just might have to take it up as a sport.

South Beach is a good plan for diabetes prevention. It should help with cholesterol too.

December 23, 2008 at 5:53 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home