Sunday, September 14, 2008

Fall Plans

I had been looking at the web site every few days for a while, contemplating, making sure it was not about to fill. So this past week I finally signed up for the Mother Road 100 -2. 102 miles on route 66 near Oklahoma city happening Novemeber 8-9.
I have no idea how I will get there or any other detail except that this is the race I want to do this fall.
I was a pacer two years ago for the First mother road 100. I paced Bonnie Riley the last 38 miles from 11pm till abot noon the next day. That was the first time I had gone over a 50K and first time in ages even staying up all night. I knew then I wanted to do a race like this. The memeories of the store front aid station that was filled with folks who looked like characters from the night of the living dead, one throwing up in a waste basket. The freezing cold, who would have thought OK gets that cold, the small towns along the way. It was fun to be running(sort of)from town to town actually going somewhere.
The pitfalls are the hard road with little or no shoulders, the traffic (they are claiming little traffic this year though), going down deserted roads with run down houses with barking dogs in the middle of the night. But I think I can handle all that.
So I need to put in more road miles, next is Twin Cites then I am pretty sure Whistestop and probably Surp the Murph, but that is the week before mother road so not so sure about that one.
So its time to get out of Lazy mode and get training.

3 Comments:

Blogger Wayne said...

Alright, Karen! I like the process of thinking and planning and then deciding to go for it and actually signing up. So is this your first 100? I know you did > 100 miles at the 24 hour run... but still. Pretty cool!

September 16, 2008 at 7:58 PM  
Blogger SteveQ said...

Sounds like you've got your long runs all planned out; hope you can use races as training better than I.

September 18, 2008 at 10:48 AM  
Blogger Londell said...

COOOOL... You are so ready and my thought will be with you as I drink root beer and eat Frito's and sulk over my last 100 attempt...

Life is good!

September 19, 2008 at 2:43 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home