Monday, July 27, 2009

50 by 50- DONE!!!



Yeah!!! I made my goal of completing 50 marathon or higher races by the time I turned 50 (insert un-smiley face here-for the turning 50 part) ansd I have one month to spare.
The good news is that my mission of making physical activity and good health a part of my daily life is achieved. After all this is what this goal was about - lowering my risk of death from heart and diabietes realted problems. The early death of my parents and a few siblings have made the risk very real and funny the older I get the more I care.
Vouageur was alot of fun despite everything . My first 1/2 went great. I even got to hear the song perfect day on my I-pod and it was so good- I was all alone going thru the power lines -so was able to sing as loud as I wanted. If fact I re-played two more times if felt so good and so perfect that this song was playing right then. I had a very hard second half. I have not felt so sick since FANS two years ago- when I had the same stomach ache thing. But I hate to dwell on things that don't go well because well- I finished -I might have just dropped if finishing this one was not so important.
It was so good to see so many of my running friends before and during the race. I don't know how I got so lucky to know so many great people. I really do not deserve it.
I owe alot to Rick B who was out spectating, he was very encouraging and helped me alot through the end, even running with me for a while, him in his sandals and all. It helps to be stronger when you are trying not to look like you are not as bad off as you feel. I also hated for him to be wasting his time out there so I knew I better just finish or he would never get home.
I really appreciate all the volunteers out there. Thanks Wayne for taking all the pictures!!!
Now I hae decsions to make- What to re-name the blog to?
I probably need goals too but what?

9 Comments:

Blogger Matthew Patten said...

That is an achievement to be proud of.

When was #1 out of 50?

You nailed the important part, your health. Although, I wonder if we all are losing it by running races like this one (our mental health).

Now you can do SST100 as gravy

July 27, 2009 at 2:47 PM  
Blogger Karen G said...

Matt,
My first was Twin Cities Marathon 2004. The training leading to that marathon started mid July 5 years ago with my first 10K, first 10 mile and first 1/2 mile. Before that I was much of a runner but liked going to aerobics and other excercise classes and filled in with a little running when I could not get to the health club.

July 27, 2009 at 3:02 PM  
Blogger Londell said...

100 by 100? But lower it to include half marathon and above? Of course, you continue to inspire me so I will wait to see what it will be...

July 27, 2009 at 3:42 PM  
Blogger Mike W. said...

Congrats on finishing at Voyageur.

Good luck in your next event and discovering your new goal.

July 27, 2009 at 8:41 PM  
Blogger Kel said...

Awesome accomplishment Karen!

Do you have other races planned this year?

July 28, 2009 at 7:33 AM  
Blogger Wayne said...

Very cool, Karen. You've pushed through some tough races to meet your goals... very inspiring! Feel free to enjoy the accomplishment while you think about what's next.

July 28, 2009 at 10:17 AM  
Blogger SteveQ said...

Congrats, and it's good to hear you're feeling better (you were still a little woozy when I saw you last).

You can join me in starting a blog called, "Someday, I'm beating Julie in an ultra!"

July 28, 2009 at 10:24 AM  
Blogger Julie B said...

Congratulations Karen! That is a super huge goal to accomplish. Not only the 50/50 but changing your life with your eating as well.

Come on Steve! I came here to congratulate Karen and here I see you and your comments relating to me here as well. Why am I the target? I don't get it.

Again, congratulations Karen.

July 28, 2009 at 7:08 PM  
Blogger Karen G said...

Don't know if Julie will read this again- but Julie you are not the target you are the one on the pedestal we have to climb to reach, well for me anyways.

July 28, 2009 at 8:50 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home